Part-time/full-time change of employment

At any time during the doctoral studies, the doctoral student may request a change of status from the programme’s Academic Committee if there are any circumstances that justify it:

  • To carry out work activity, the accreditation of which will be carried out through the Social Security registration document or equivalent (work life report, company certificate, etc.).
  • To be responsible for the care of a relative up to the second degree of kinship by blood or affinity (care of dependent dependents, care of sick people, care of dependent children under 12 years of age). This must be certified by a certificate issued by a doctor or social worker or equivalent document.
  • Be a high-level, high-performance or high-level university athlete.
  • Be in other extraordinary situations that the academic committee responsible for the programme considers to be decisive for authorising part-time student status.

The application form must be submitted to the administrative unit of the EsDule and will take effect from the day it has been authorised by the Academic Committee.


The duration of doctoral studies will be different depending on the type of stay in which the doctoral student has enrolled, and begins to be calculated from the date of enrolment in the programme until the date of deposit of the doctoral thesis.

If the application for the thesis deposit has not been submitted by the end of the normal time period, the Academic Committee of the programme may authorise an extension of one more year in the case of full-time students or two more years in the case of part-time students (in the case of doctoral students enrolled in the 2022-23 academic year and previous years).

Exceptionally, the extension of studies may be extended, regardless of the type of dedication, for an additional year.

Students starting their studies in the academic year 2023-2024 may apply for an extension of a maximum of one year.

The application form must be submitted to the EsDule administrative unit. It is recommended to submit it 2 months before the end of the ordinary term of your stay.

Temporary and definitive departures

  1. If there is any reason that hinders the completion of your thesis, you can Request Temporary Leave, and therefore, interruption of your stay, for a maximum period of one academic year, extendable up to one more academic year, for personal reasons.
  2. If you become ill during your thesis, you will automatically be granted temporary leave. To do so, you will have to notify the EsDULE administrative unit and justify it by submitting the relevant medical report.
    Leave may also be reported in the event of risk during pregnancy or breastfeeding, maternity, adoption, foster care or adoption, paternity, as well as in the event of gender-based violence protection measures. You must notify the EsDULE administrative unit of the temporary leave, and you will have to provide supporting documentation. In this case, the legally established period of sick leave or leave of absence will be taken into account.
  3. The doctoral student will be permanently withdrawn from the programme and his or her file will be closed and archived in the following cases:
    • Two consecutive negative evaluations have been obtained.
    • The student has exceeded the period of residence without having registered the application for the deposit and defence of the doctoral thesis.
    • Has not passed the training complements within the established period.

    Once the PhD student’s file has been closed for these reasons, he/she may apply for admission to another doctoral programme other than the one in which he/she has left.

  4. Withdrawal. Abandonment of a doctoral programme implies the loss of the status of researcher at the ULE, thus closing the student’s file. A doctoral student is considered to have left a doctoral programme in the following cases:
    • When you do not complete the enrolment or annual renewal process within the established deadlines without having authorised a temporary withdrawal, or do not pay the corresponding public fees.
    • When they request to leave at their own request, at any time during the academic year.
Consúltanos tus dudas


If you still have any doubts, you can ask us for information or consult the Frequently Asked Questions.